Wednesday, January 23, 2013

Mushed

This has never happened to me before. But last night's incident was so strange that, as usual, I felt compelled to blab to y'all about it:

Last night as John and I went to sleep, I could tell it was going to be one of those nights during which we spend a great deal of time telling each other to "turn over on your side because you're snoring." I've found that the phrase is more effective if it's followed quickly by a pillow whap. Maggie and Lulu get cranky on nights like these because this means that with each change of position by John or myself, they're required to rearrange all the blankets and turn around in circles to re-do their sleeping spots on the bed. Which wakes me up because Maggie needs to vigorously scratch at the comforter before she begins the whole routine.

On nights like these, nobody in our house gets a good night's sleep. Which is kind of silly when one considers that this is a four bedroom house and all four occupants are jammed into one bed. But that's the way we like it, so......ah well.

But last night at two AM, after being told to "turn over onto your side because you're SNORING," and "scratch scratch scratch SCRATCH SCRATCH" and Lulu deciding that her new sleeping spot was going to be directly under my chin facing my feet which meant that her rear end was way too close for comfort in my opinion.......where was I going with this.... oh, righto -- I slid out of bed and decided to take advantage of one of the other very comfortable beds in our house just one bedroom down.

Which I did. Ahhhhhhh. I fell asleep immediately on my back, probably snoring so loudly that the shingles were shaking but I didn't care. My peaceful but probably noisy slumber was disturbed just one hour later when I awoke to the strangest sensation: I was unbearably hungry. I was craving something.......

Yeah. In the middle of the night I woke up craving..............a big bowl of steaming hot corn meal mush. What the heck?!

So me waking up during the night feeling a bit peckish isn't all that unusual, but here's the weird thing: I've NEVER HAD A BOWL OF CORN MEAL MUSH IN MY LIFE.

Never. Not once.

But the craving was so persistent that after a few minutes I tiptoed downstairs and grabbed the box of cornmeal that I had purchased the day before because I thought some muffins would be nice, and John likes the corn meal kind.

I looked on the package, and panicked when I couldn't immediately see a mush recipe, but whew -- there it was: just a little paragraph with a simple recipe that served four.

It was three AM. I couldn't do the math, so I grabbed a kettle and cooked up four servings of corn meal mush. I have no clue if what I made actually was mush, but I followed the directions and about ten minutes later was seated at the kitchen table in my jammies eating a big bowl of yellow stuff which was spread with just a little butter, drizzled with honey, and thinned a bit with some milk poured over the top of it all.

Oh. My. Gosh.

It was wonderful. It was delightful. It was delicious. It was fabulous and comforting beyond belief. Where has this stuff been all of my life?

AND WHY DID I WAKE UP IN THE MIDDLE OF THE NIGHT CRAVING SOME?

I woke up this morning and vaguely recalled cooking something delicious during the night....gosh, must have been yet another weirdo Plaquenil dream, I thought.....then came downstairs and found this:


Explanations please.

4 comments:

Amy Junod said...

Darn it! Now I'M craving corny goodness.

Unknown said...

How odd! And fun!

ShEiLa said...

I read this before I left home this morning... I have been giving it some thought. Then I clicked over again to see if there were any likely explanations.

I had no idea that some of my crazy dreams can be attributed to Plaquenil. Cha-ching!

To me it sounded like an Ambien dream/crave/action. I have a friend that knows a lady that got out of bed got dressed and went shopping at the local Walmart. Not remembering any of it. Yikes. She had to drive more than 10 miles to get there.

Have you come up with any extra tidbits?

Now back to the post before this one. My pain has been so bad and I had no reenforcement that my pain could be related to my Sjogren's... Now to read it again and spend more time on it. I was in a rush this morning.

Thanks again for all of the wonderful things I have been able to learn here on your blog.

ToOdLeS.

Shannon said...

My thought was that if you just bought the box the day before.. you probably looked at the back of the box and read that yummy recipe.

You probably had slept long enough before where it was 4-5 hours after the last time you ate? Noted to yourself that you were hungry, made the recollection that you had that new (to you) recipe on the back of the cornmeal box.. and voila! HAD to have some just because you could lol.

It does sound rather delicious! :D

ShareThis