Thursday, July 22, 2010

Please Don't Call Me Dave

I was watching 2001 A Space Odyssey yesterday, which, for those of you who haven't seen it, is a very. strange. movie. I can't even begin to describe how strange. But it was intriguing and I watched it to the very end.



When it was done, I blinked and thought, "What the heck? What was that all about? And what does it all mean??"

So here's a link which supposedly tells us what Stanley Kubrick was thinking when he produced this movie. It's a good thing that someone explained it to me. I would never have come up with those allusions and parallels and insinuations and extrapolations all by myself. Yikes. Check it out:

Kubrick 2001: The Space Odyssey Explained

As I watched, my little vacuum Roomba was busily making it's way around the room, picking up all the bits of dirt and debris that the schnauzers tracked in from outside.

A robot. A vacuum robot. MY robot.

Hm. You don't think.....nah, it was just a movie. A robot couldn't really.......well, of course not, you silly person, you. But, could it? Would it? No way. Get a grip, Julia. Honestly.

But still...

Say, Roomba? You're happy living here, aren't you? Roomba? Buddy ol' pal? Is there anything I can get for you? An new recharger for the living room? How about a new set of brushes? An extra large debris container? Anything you want, big guy. Just say the word. It's yours.



Um, by the way, Roomba, how about taking an extra lap around the kitchen? I think you missed some stuff.....Roomba?

Roomba?!? AAAAaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhh!


I'm sorry, Julia. I'm afraid I can't do that. And please call me HAL. 

No comments:

ShareThis