Thursday, August 28, 2008

Ooooooooooooooooook (gasp) lahoma!


Image found here. 

Ado Annie and Will are my two favorite characters in the Rodgers and Hammerstein musical Oklahoma! Who cared about Curley and Laurie? We all knew they would end up together. But Ado Annie and Will? I was worried about their future when Ado Annie learns the "Persian Goodbye" from the Peddler Man. Thankfully good old Will comes through in the end and claims Ado Annie as his own with an "Oklahoma Hello". Attaboy, Will.

They sing two songs, I Cain't Say No, and All Er Nothin', both having a self-control message of sorts. I can identify with Ado Annie on this one. 

Oh, for crying out loud. I didn't mean it that way, people! Puhleeeze. Clean it up, folks. Although I really don't mind when John gives me an Oklahoma Hello.........

Now where was I? Oh, yes. Self control. 

I have written before about my self control - or should I say lack of it. What can I say? It's an ongoing problem for me. Specifically when it comes to pacing my activities to manage my fatigue. Then there's my self control issues related to pie, but that's a whole different post.

My ability to manage my activities to avoid crash and burn episodes is something that I need to improve. If I am in the midst of a task, I want to finish it, regardless of my energy levels. Once I've collapsed on the couch after depleting my reserves, I want to stay on the couch for the rest of the day.  It takes a developed sense of control to heft myself off the couch, but also to step away from the vacuum cleaner. 

Coming to grips with my fatigue will require me to develop not only my body's muscles, but also my self control muscles. I guess I cain't say noooo to continuing to work those strategies. (Inspirational music playing, the camera shot fades into the sunset...........)

No comments:

ShareThis